Lung Cancer is characterized by abnormal cell growth in the lungs, often leading to life-threatening consequences if not diagnosed and treated early.
Causes of Lung Cancer:
- Radon Gas
- Smoking / Secondhand Smoke
- Environmental Pollutants
- Family History
Symptoms of Lung Cancer:
Early detection of lung cancer greatly improves treatment outcomes and recognizing the common symptoms can help individuals to seek medical attention promptly. Some of the typical signs of lung cancer include:
- Persistent coughing
- Coughing up blood
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Unexplained weight loss
- Recurrent respiratory infections
It's essential not to dismiss the above symptoms and consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation.
Support and Resources:
The Manitoba Lung Association is dedicated to empowering individuals to navigate their lung health journey effectively. We encourage all Manitobans to test their homes for radon gas, as well as to quit smoking and reduce their risk of developing lung cancer.
- Join our ManitobaQuits Support Group on Facebook.
- Visit our Tobacco and Vaping Information page for resources and information to help individuals on their quit journey.
- Visit our Radon Gas page for information, resources, and to purchase a radon test kit to test the radon levels in your home.
- Visit our friends at CancerCare Manitoba for local support services in Manitoba.
- Visit our friends at Lung Cancer Canada for information and resources at a National level.