The Manitoba Lung Association was originally created by the Government of Manitoba as the "Sanatorium Board of Manitoba Act" on February 8, 1904.
The Board operated seven sanatoria in Manitoba to house and care for those living with Tuberculosis (TB). At that time, effective medications were not available to treat TB. Instead, patients with TB were isolated from the general public and prescribed rest and good nutrition. The Sanatorium in Ninette was the centre for TB treatment in Manitoba and in 1926 became the base for mobile x-ray clinics, the first preventative health program in Canada.
In the late 1940's, advances in the development of medications for the treatment of TB reduced the need for patients to spend long periods in sanatoria. After obtaining approval from the Provincial Government, the Board began the gradual conversion to other uses of beds in the existing Sanatoria. In 1958, the treatment of TB was discontinued at the Brandon Sanatorium and the facility continued operation as the Assiniboine Hospital, treating patients with non-communicable, long-term illnesses.
In 1975, the Manitoba Lung Association was founded as a division of the Sanatorium Board of Manitoba to carry out the tasks involved in running community health programs and education services.
Today, the Lung Association is a registered Canadian charity.
Because of donors, we strive to help Manitobans breathe with ease. We do this by:
- Being there for people when they need help
- Supporting and encouraging research
- Protecting the air we breathe
- Celebrate breathing